Being a celebrant is the Best Job in the World (BJW). I love it. Like, really, really, reeeeeeally love it. This love shines through in my socials and with anyone I meet. Consequently I have worked with a number of celebrants who have asked me to mentor them to help them accelerate their celebrant career.
Since starting the BJW in 2011, I’ve learnt a lot. I’ve learnt how to do things smarter, better, and different. I’ve made some mistakes, and I’ve learnt alternative ways to do things as a result.
Why Do I Mentor?
- I believe in mentoring. Prior to being a full time celebrant, I worked in not-for-profits, and participated in various schemes where I’ve been a mentee, and experienced the power of working with a great mentor. I know how it benefited my career and how a good mentoring match can accelerate and focus your career.
- I’m non-judgemental. There’s no such thing as a silly question, and together we’ll find your celebrant groove. I’ll be rootin’ for you in the hope that you’ll end up as happy in your career as I have been with mine.
- I’ve been running my own business for nearly a decade. I’ve won numerous accolades, appears in a number of publications online and in print, and was named ABIA Runner Up QLD Celebrant 2020, Top Ten Celebrant in Brisbane (Courier Mail) and Top 15 Celebrant Australia (Hello May Magazine).
- I am the current QLD Local Leader for The Celebrant Society, and mentor students who are doing their training with the Academy of Modern Celebrancy
- I have a current Certificate IV in Training and Assessment.
What Happens In A Mentoring Session
Firstly, we have a chat about what it is you would like to concentrate on. It might be that you want some general advice, and one session is all you need. Alternatively, it might be more of a business coaching type arrangement where we set goals and challenges and meet on a more frequent basis.
We agree how often you’d like to meet, and do so in an environment which works best according to our agreed focus. For example, if you would like to see my administration processes, a session would be better suited at my office. If you would like to have a chat about script writing, a cafe may suffice. Or, if you wish to set up your own Client Management System (17 Hats, Studio Ninja ) or learn how to use the Births, Deaths and Marriage On-Line Portal, this might be better to do at your office.
I am based in Brisbane, and am happy to meet face-to-face. However, I also mentor celebrants interstate and internationally, and hold these sessions via Zoom.
Areas of Expertise
- How to write an introduction
- Best way to extract information from couples about their story
- Critique of draft ceremonies
- What legal elements need to occur where
- What can and can’t you do in a ceremony
- How long should a ceremony be
- Ceremony logistics and stage-management of key players
- What to do on the day of the ceremony
- PA Systems – what you should you use, and how these work
- What happens when something goes wrong – plan b’s, c’s and d’s
- Kindle, iPad, or good old-fashion folders – what to use to read your script
- Master of Ceremonies – what’s included, and how to do it properly
- Process of working with a couple from first contact through to registration of marriage – and beyond!
- Navigating the Birth, Deaths and Marriages portal including uploading documents
- Using a Client Management System such as Studio Ninja (my personal preference) or 17Hats
- Apps to help your business
- Processing of paperwork
- How to keep your business finances on track
Advertising and Marketing
- How to find your perfect couples
- Where to advertise and market yourself
- How to get your first ‘gig’
- Social media – how to find content when you’ve not done any/many ceremonies
- Website design and content
Most importantly, your session is about you. Therefore we can discuss whatever you need to know, and I will structure a session so you can gain the maximum you need out of within the time-frame allotted.
Lovely Words From Celebrant Friends
Roxy answered all my questions with patience and grace, gave me the little tips that I hadn’t even thought to ask, and shared her knowledge with me so generously and without judgement. Safe to say, her advice was brilliant and it helped me pull off my MC gig with flying colours.
To any newbie celebrants/MCs out there needing some mentoring, just go to Roxy. You’ll get what you need as you bask in her loveliness. She’s one of a kind, and the best kind of human. She’s rockin’ Roxy!
ZOE – MARRY ME ZOE PHOTO BY EUPHORIA FILMS
Roxy is brilliant. Not only is she extremely experienced and a multi-award-winning celebrant, she is so friendly, open, encouraging and supportive. I am really learning a lot from the guidance she is giving me about ‘real world’ celebrancy (as opposed to in the classroom).
Where to stand? Ask Roxy. What about music? Ask Roxy. Question about the paperwork? Roxy knows the answers. Feeling a lack of confidence? Tell Roxy. I am also getting some very cool tips about my website and my socials and how to make them sing (like a bird).
JEN – PAPER DAISY CEREMONIES PHOTO BY JESS HINCHLIFFE
Being a new Celebrant can feel a little daunting at times so I decided to meet with an experienced Celebrant to help put my mind at ease and scare away some of those little jitters.
Roxy openly shared her practical knowledge, guiding me along the way in my new little venture of being a Celebrant. I loved the opportunity of being able to sit and chat with her in an informal environment and bombard her with questions! She had all the answers and talked to me as an equal, with my confidence is building very quickly. Even the first time I met you, your warmth and kindness stood out. I truly appreciate your offer of continued support and yes, you will be hearing from me again.
JACKY – JACKY WALKER MARRIAGE CELEBRANT
Mentoring sessions are specifically tailored for you. I am super flexible and want you to get the most out of your session. Generally speaking, mentoring sessions are done one-on-one, either at a coffee shop, via Zoom or Facetime, at my home or your home if within 20kms of Brisbane CBD. Sessions are completely driven by what you want to get out of it. If you’re unsure how long it may take to conduct one session, please email me for a quote.
COST: $50+gst per half hour
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about this whatsoever.
You must be logged in to post a comment.