COVID-19 and Your Wedding

Update: 25th March 2020

You may have watched Scott Morrison’s announcement which specified that weddings from the 26th March 2020 until further notice can currently can only take place with up to five people (the couple, the celebrant, and two witnesses).

What Options Does This Leave Couples?

If you’re already in the planning process, with a date booked, you may be wondering what your option are. Basically, you have four:

a) If you want to keep the date you have been originally planning for your wedding, you can have a small ceremony with you, your two witnesses and your celebrant on that date at a place of your choice

b) If you are happy to be flexible with your date and have already submitted your Notice of Intended Marriage (and a month has passed) with your celebrant, you can have a small ceremony now (before any further restrictions come into place). If you haven’t yet submitted a Notice of Intended Marriage, then you will need to do so and wait a month unless you fall under the category of applying for a Shortening of Time

c) Postpone everything until times are clearer

d) Sit tight, and wait until you feel ready to make a decision

What Happens If We Choose ‘a’ or ‘b’?

You can still invite your family and friends into your ceremony by live streaming it using Skype, Facetime or any other suitable app. Or you can film it, and then share it with your family and friends at a later date with full celebrations.

We can do the small ceremony now, and hold a bigger celebration at a later date of your choice.  If you’d like this, I am happy to do both: marry you legally and attend the bigger celebration to conduct a ceremony in front of your family and friends.  

What Happens If We Choose ‘c’?

Great!  This is what a lot of couples are doing.  Below are some suggestions to consider:

  • Check with your venue what dates they have available.  Months like September, October and November are busy wedding months and you may find it better to consider days other than Saturdays to try and find something which is available.
  • We don’t know how long this will last for.  If you want to wait until the dust has settled a little before choosing a new date, just let your vendors know.  I am in regular contact with other industry people, and there is a real sense of everyone trying to work together to be as flexible as possible.

What Happens If We Can’t Decide What to Do At The Moment ‘d’?

That’s completely okay!  I realise a lot of people are under a lot of stress at the moment and I certainly do not want to add to that.  

If you’re a current client and I’ve not heard from you, or you haven’t decided to change your date yet, my automated systems will send your final payment invoice to you one month before your ceremony date.  Please let me know if you are not happy to pay this at this time, and would prefer to move the final payment to another date.

Thank You

You probably realise that I love my celebrancy business so much.  It’s been heartbreaking to have this happen for so many reasons, most of all that peoples health is at risk.  However, I know we can get through this together and get you married, even if it’s not at the time, date or place that you hoped it would be.  Thank you for working with me to make this work.

With love,